The thing that struck me when walking around the surviving buildings of the estate owned by Henry Bolckow for the first time was how strange it was, given the significant amounts of wealth on show, that the intended life of such an impressive private estate could have been so short. By 1960, less than 100 years after the erection of the Central Lodge buildings in 1864, themselves built only a few short years after Marton Hall itself in the mid-1850s, the hall they had served was gone and the estate buildings were being used by the local council.
Image Provided by Teesside Archives.
Henry Bolckow was a member of a short lived and distinctively Victorian breed. Industrialists across the country capitalised on rapidly expanding demand for their products and even men from fairly modest backgrounds were able to raise themselves, on the back of their business ingenuity, to levels of wealth and positions in society previously only occupied by the landed gentry. Perhaps this could be said for the likes of John Vaughan more easily than it can for Bolckow, who was born into a rural landed family of seemingly modest wealth in his native Duchy of Mecklenburg. Bolckow nevertheless made his own fortune working as an accountant in the corn trade, first in Rostock before moving to Newcastle and forming a successful business partnership whilst still in his twenties; all of this long before sensing his opportunity to move into the burgeoning iron trade with the aforementioned Vaughan in the late 1830s.
These ‘new money’ industrial magnates wanted to present themselves as members of the landed elite, even if they were not always accepted into the inner circles of the long established aristocracy. This was perhaps of even greater importance to Henry (initially Heinrich) Bolckow who, after becoming a naturalised British subject in 1841, wanted to underline his patriotism for his adopted nation and present himself as a quintessential English country Gentleman. During the mid-19th century, industrialists were also often involved heavily with local politics and Henry Bolckow, being Middlesbrough’s first mayor and later its first MP, certainly provided a perfect example of this. He, more than most industrialists, managed to infiltrate the upper tiers of society, entertaining a visit from Prince Arthur to Marton Hall in August 1868 following the opening of Albert Park, named after the Prince’s father. The park was just one of Bolckow’s many significant acts of local philanthropy during his life.
(Excerpt summarising a speech made by Henry Bolckow at the opening of Albert Park. Part of a longer two page article describing the events of the day – Newcastle Journal, Wednesday 12 August 1868, pages 2-3).
But the status of men like Bolckow – as well as their wealth – was more fragile than that held by those born with significant titles, who inherited large estates with long established boundaries and sources of income. The wealth of the industrialists was tied completely to the performance of their companies and was reliant on constant innovation and micromanagement in the face of heavy competition and volatile markets. Bolckow and Vaughan had proved that they were up to the task and they were successful because they were genuinely talented at what they did. Vaughan died in 1868 and when Bolckow followed him a decade later he died without a son; his nominated heir, his nephew Carl, was ultimately unsuccessful in his business ventures, he was unable to adapt or innovate and he failed to react to a recession in the trade during the 1880s. By the middle of the 1890s he had lost control of his uncle’s company. The wealth which he had inherited quickly disappeared and the Bolckow estate at Marton was slowly dismantled. Perhaps never sharing the same passion for his uncle’s industry and the town which it had borne, Carl would eventually move away and by the time of his death in 1915 the estate was being used for the war effort.
One of the many stable spaces in the Central Lodge. The grand iron pillars which support the vaulted ceiling would have housed dividers that formed stalls for the horses. The grey and rose section of wall on the right is made of marble, evidencing the wealth that was thrown into these buildings. Through the doorway are the high status loose boxes which would have housed the family’s own horses.
Politically, the industrialists had become increasingly less involved in local governance by the end of the 1860s throughout Britain, although Henry Bolckow had remained involved for a longer period of time than most. In this period there was a process where small business owning members of the lower middle classes were beginning to dominate in numbers on local councils. This process began in Middlesbrough in the 1870s, later than in most other major towns and cities; nevertheless this advent of what has been referred to as a ‘shopocracy’ has a special significance in the story of the area which would eventually become Stewart Park. Large philanthropic gestures from eminent local figures were rarer after the time of Henry Bolckow, however it is almost symbolic that Councillor Dormand Stewart, the man who would eventually play such a crucial part in the turning over of the lands of Bolckow’s estate for the use of the public in 1923, made his money as the owner of a chain of shops and was himself a great example of the shopocracy which had replaced men like Henry Bolckow as the would-be leaders of the town.
Related post: The Gustav Martens Dilemma